Fall Vegetable Risotto with Blue Cheese
Oct 14, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
I am a huge fan of risotto and this savory blend is packed with some of my favorite things: caramelized onions, Brussels sprouts, shiitake mushrooms, blue cheese, and walnuts. Serve with last week’s Endive Salad with Pear and Gorgonzola (perhaps trading out the cheese) to round out the meal. Vegetarians need only substitute vegetable broth for a meatless version, or add any leftover the pancetta from the Asparagus Farfalle for an even heartier version.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 10 ounces Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed, quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ¼ pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup gorgonzola or other blue cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup walnut pieces, toasted
1. In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and almost tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the Brussels sprouts to a bowl and set aside. Reduce the heat to low.
2. In a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir until opaque, about 1 minute. Add the wine and stir until absorbed. Add about ¾ cup of the broth, and adjust the heat so the liquid bubbles and is absorbed slowly. Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue cooking, add the liquid about ¾ cup at a time and stirring frequently, until the rice is just tender but slightly firm in the center and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes. Mix in the Brussels sprouts, blue cheese and a generous amount of pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
3. Spoon the risotto into warmed shallow bowls or plates, sprinkle with walnuts, and serve right away. Serves 4.
Kidd, Kristine. “Fall Vegetable Risotto with Blue Cheese.” Weeknight Fresh + Fast. Weldon Owen, Inc. and Williams-Sonoma, Inc. San Francisco, California. 2011