Hot and Sour Soup with Shrimp
Oct 28, 2015 04:00PM ● Published by Cate Reynolds
Warm up from the inside out and get your mushroom fix at the same time with this hot and sour soup! Fresh ginger, white pepper, chicken broth, ginger, soy sauce, white vinegar, and a little egg creates the broth and will get you instantly toasty. The original recipe calls for tofu, but I use half a pound of sautéed shrimp, which actually saves a little bit of time. If you follow the original instructions this dish requires about 30 minutes of hands-on time and an hour and a half total. Since shrimp is quick and easy to cook it took me a little over an hour to make. The recipe notes that this appetizer soup can be into a main dish if you double the portion size. It also notes that while white pepper provides a mild heat, sambal oelek can be used instead for a little more kick. You can find bamboo shoots at Shoppers or Target.
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 ¾ cups water, divided
- 1 (½-ounce) package dried sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained and cut into julienne strips
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup thinly diagonally sliced green onion tops
1. Place tofu on several layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Discard paper towels. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes.
2. Bring 1 ½ cups water to a boil in a small saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms; let stand 30 minutes. Stir in broth and next 6 ingredients (through garlic); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine remaining ¼ cup water and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture, tofu, and bamboo shoots into broth mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Slowly drizzle egg into broth mixture (do not stir). Place pan over low heat; cook 1 minute. Stir soup gently to combine. Sprinkle with green onions.
Adapted from “Hot and Sour Soup with Tofu.” Cooking Light: Soups & Stews, 100 Easy + Comforting Recipes. Time Inc. Lifestyle Group. 2015. Print.