Towne Spotlight: Local Business and Community News of Annapolis June 2016
Jun 24, 2016 01:00PM
● By Cate Reynolds
Pictured left to right: Circuit Court Judges Donna Schaeffer, Cathy Vitale, and Stacey McCormack along with Former Governor Ehrlich. Photo by Lisa Banting Photography.
JAMES C. CAWOOD, JR. INN OF COURT MEETINGFormer Governor Robert Ehrlich, Jr. was the keynote speaker at the James C. Cawood, Jr. Inn of Court meeting on Thursday, March 3rd at the Doubletree Hotel in Annapolis. The Cawood Inn of Court is the Anne Arundel County Chapter of the American Inns of Court, and the Inn aspires to promote professionalism and ethics in the practice of law across the United States. John P. Lynch, Esq. the current Inn of Court President, along with the Honorable Cathy Vitale, Circuit Court Judge of Anne Arundel County, introduced the Governor to approximately 65 Anne Arundel County lawyers, including the Honorable Glenn Klavans, the Honorable Stacey McCormack and the Honorable Donna Schaeffer, all newly appointed judges on the Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. The Cawood Inn of Court meets in Annapolis monthly September through May and was formed by Judge James Cawood in the late 1980s.
MISS SHIRLEY’S DONATES TO ST. VINCENT DE PAUL’S EMPTY BOWLS FUNDRAISERFor the sixth year in a row, Miss Shirley’s participated in St. Vincent de Paul’s Empty Bowls Fundraiser. Sixty gallons of Shirley’s Signature Chicken & Corn Chowder was served at the event, which raises funds and awareness of the organization’s mission to help those who are hungry and homeless in the community. For more information visit Emptybowlsbaltimore.org.
WEST COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE SPIRIT OF COMMUNITY AWARDSOn Monday, March 14th, West County Chamber of Commerce hosted its Spirit of Community Awards Dinner. Public Safety Officers, including Police, Sheriff’s Deputy and Military, and Educators were honored at this event. Remarks were provided by County Executive Steve Schuh, Chamber Board Chairman Randy Fisher of the Fisher Law Office, and Claire Louder, President and CEO of the West County Chamber. What’s Up? Media was a proud sponsor of this event.
Congratulations to all of the winners! • Police Officer of the Year-Detective Jeff Golas, Anne Arundel County Police Department
- Sheriff’s Deputy of the Year-Deputy Young Hur, Anne Arundel County Sheriff’s Department
- Military Member of the Year-SSG David Harrison, 2nd Military Working Dog Detachment, Fort George G. Meade
- Elementary Educator of the Year-Patrick Alexander, Piney Orchard Elementary
- Middle School Educator of the Year-Kathleen Soares, Crofton Middle School
- High School Educator of the Year-Jenny Madden, Arundel High School
- Administrative Support Staff of the Year-Lisbeth Sorensen, South Shore Elementary and Sandi Taylor, The Summit School
- Administrator of the Year-Heidi Trammell, Odenton Elementary