The Ultimate 5 Fast Fixes When You Must Look Your Best
Jul 12, 2017 02:00PM ● Published by Becca Newell
Whether it’s a date night, work event, or an evening on the town, you always want to look your best—which, for most of us, reads as “younger.” And while today’s anti-aging treatments and surgeries have come a long way in terms of their ability to turn back the years, time is typically of the essence, so we’re always in search of fast fixes. Here, we offer our tips and tricks for when you need to look your best—stat!
1. The Face FixWhile morning beauty routines are often condensed for time’s sake, you might want to reconsider skipping the step in between moisturizer and foundation and spend a minute or two applying primer. Adding a small amount of this liquid, cream, or gel to skin before foundation minimizes the appearance of pores and fine lines while helping to create a smooth base for your makeup. An added bonus? Primer can help your moisturizer stay put so skin looks extra dewy and hydrated throughout the day.
2. The Eye Wrinkle FixA little eye makeup can go a long way when it comes to brightening aging eyes. Dust iridescent shimmer in the inner corner of the eyes, in addition to a swipe underneath each brow bone, to open up the eyes and create a more youthful appearance. To really make eyes pop, line lower lashes with a white (or brightening) eye pencil. For extra oomph, particularly when it comes to drooping eyelids, try correcting strips—we love Lids by Design (Contoursrx.com). This medical grade product reshapes eyelids for a natural, lifted look—from slight to dramatic, depending on preference.
3. The Hair FixA surefire sign of aging: frizzy, dull locks. While salon treatments are great for keeping tresses happy and healthy, a little hair oil, along with a sleek ponytail, is a simple solution in a time crunch. Apply a pea-size amount of oil to strands, starting at the ends and working toward (but avoiding!) the roots—no one wants a greasy scalp—to soften hair and add a little shine. Gather hair into a ponytail—straightening strands with a flat iron if necessary—and secure in the middle of the crown.
4. The Hand FixKeep nails (and cuticles) nourished with a moisturizing oil; apply often to care for dry, brittle nails—another sign of aging. Additionally, a simple manicure can transform outdated nails with a more on-trend length or shape. And if you’re daring enough, finish with a bold, classically-hued lacquer. Experts suggest colorful tips grab onlookers’ attention away from age spots, crepey skin, and any other imperfections you’d prefer to go unnoticed.
5. The Skin FixThere’s a reason sun-kissed skin—the fake kind via a professional tanning spray or at-home lotion—has long been considered the go-to skin-perfecting solution. The just-off-the-beach glow helps to camouflage any less-than-desirable features, like cellulite, varicose veins, and stretch marks. Many tanning products today also boast ingredients with anti-aging properties, such as vitamin E, aloe vera, peptides, hyaluronic acid, and antioxidants, to nourish, firm, hydrate, and protect skin.
The Future of Red-Carpet Ready?A silicone-based polymer that can temporarily tighten skin and smooth wrinkles was recently developed by a research team at MIT. During human trials, the cream, dubbed “second skin,” reshaped participants’ under-eye bags and enhanced skin hydration. Skin-tightening and wrinkle-removing effects are temporary, however, with studies showing skin returning to its former condition within 24 hours. Further in-depth research and experiments are necessary for any potential cosmetic use, but doctors remain “cautiously optimistic,” according to a January 2017 article in Happi magazine.