Do you like writing? Do you like cubicles? Do you like the oxford comma (please say yes)?What’s Up? Wants You!
Objectives include learning the following skills:
- Production and workflow management
- Editorial Research
- Creative Writing
- Digital Copywriting
- Community Outreach
- Client Relations Skills and Business Acumen
This internship supports the Editorial Department with data entry of fact checked events information with correct style/formatting, spelling, and grammar. This job is perfect for a student or recent grad studying English, Creative Writing, or Journalism. If you have a flair for writing and an eye for detail, this position allows for creativity in writing blog posts, event announcements, and other ~super cool~ writing assignments.
Please email the following documents (Cover Letter, Resume, and Writing Sample) for consideration to Entertainment Editor, Cate Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org and Community Editor, Caley Breese at email@example.com with the Email Subject Line: What’s Up? Media Intern Candidate. No phone calls, please. Thank you!
Marketing & Audience Development Manager
Social Media- 5 to 8 hours
Marketing and Project Manager- 20 hours
Day to day office procedures- 5 to 8 hours
- The Social Media Marketing Manager will collaborate and work hand in hand to assist with every department to enhance the marketing needs of our clients
- Keep all social media accounts current and post 2 to 3 times a week
- Post with different content such as articles, new restaurants for our audience to try, What’s Up this week blog, etc.
- Post material that will catch our audience’s attention
- Market hosted events and other events in the area What’s Up is apart of
- Manage Service Project Features and prepare projects for the magazine
- Work closely with the staff on product acquisition, tracking, and supplying to our Beauty Buzz team members
- Acquire product review via online submission forms and reformat into Word processor for layout
- Market and select new Beauty Buzz team members annually
- Also post on social media new members
- Co-plan new members Beauty Buzz Orientation Party
- Co-manage intern program
- Develop intern program relationships with local colleges and high schools
- Also, can market through social media and continue to build the target audience for the program
- Interview and select interns
- Delegate projects and assignments to interns
- Including a What’s Up college/ high school Best of list in the area
- Assist the managing editor
- Take part in the monthly editorial department meetings and brainstorm new material/ projects and how to properly market these events
- Discuss upcoming events with the Director of Event Planning and plan a marketing strategy to best enhance the event
- Market on all forms of Social Media and review the Ad for the magazine to catch the eye of the reader
- Help organize and market the event
- Work with the publishing team to define an overall message to reach not only the readers but businesses in the area and potential new clients
- Work with designers to create ads for the publications, as well as special events
- Develop project timelines as needed
- Conducts marketing training for new sales team members
- Works with research to create all reports
- Maintain relationships with advertising partners and third-party vendors
- Answer any questions and resolve any concerns
- Email/ call with new promotions
- Manage marketing collateral across divisions, ensure materials are on hand for any occasional need
- Works with research to create all reports as needed
- Works with HR, Accounting, Sales Meeting Notes, Leadership Team, etc. to develop and create internal marketing materials
- Develop and oversee business development opportunities for sales team, client outreach, closing dinners, holiday/ anniversary gifts
- Maintain a clean and tidy work environment which includes daily walk through of the office
- Wipe down conference room tables
- Replace paper when needed, etc
We work with the best people to produce the best work. The sales force behind our award-winning publications, events and digital platforms demand a strong need for achievement, competitiveness, optimism and a passion to enrich lives in our coverage. Think you have what it takes to join the team? Are you ready to represent our brand in a professional way, selling across all platforms in alignment with company processes to meet and exceed revenue goals?
Benefits include Health Insurance, Pension and 401K plans and work perks such as monthly birthday lunches and flexible vacations. Who doesn't like the sound of those?
Very high-income potential.To apply, please submit: (1) a cover letter detailing your interest in the position and relevant experience and (2) your resume/cv directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must live in Anne Arundel County or within Queen Anne’s, Talbot, Dorchester or Kent Counties on the Eastern Shore.
Contributing Editor – Towne Social
What’s Up? Media is seeking a dynamic, outgoing individual to fulfill the social role or Contributing Editor for our Towne Social magazine coverage. Job duties include:
• Research and compile all philanthropic event information for the calendar year continuously
• Create and maintain media relationships with nonprofit, business, and community organizations, becoming the “media liaison” for event coverage
• Cultivate and schedule photography/event coverage with the many organizations/events
• Create pre-event coverage (“inside the event” preview blog postings; social media promo)
• Create post-event coverage
• Attend an average of two-to-three Towne Social events per month
• Be the Towne Socialite; serves as public philanthropic guru!
This is a part-time contractual position with the potential to develop into full-time. If this position speaks to you, please introduce yourself by emailing Editor@whatsupmag.com with your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples. Please include “Towne Social Editor” in the subject line of your email.___________________________________________
Contributing Writer: Food & Dining
What’s Up? Media is seeking qualified writers to cover the local dining scene, specifically writing restaurant dining reviews and interviews with local chefs and culinary ownership. We are actively growing our coverage of the dining scene, especially on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Qualified writers will possess a culinary background of a professional caliber and demonstrate exemplary writing skills. We prefer our writers to live within the area of primary coverage, which includes: Anne Arundel, Queen Anne’s, Kent, Caroline, Talbot, and Dorchester counties.
As a contributing writer, you will be contracted on a freelance basis per assignment and expected to attend editorial meetings as determined by the editorial director.
To introduce yourself, please send a brief cover letter, resume, and three writing samples to email@example.com with the subject line “Dining Writer”